Note: The application checklist is the same for all prospective Masters students, including Openseminary applicants.
Thank you for your interest in Palmer Seminary of Eastern University. The goal of this checklist is to make it as clear and simple as possible for you to apply to Palmer. Please note that all materials related to the application process can be mailed, e-mailed or faxed to the Admissions Office. E-mail materials to email@example.com or fax to 484-654-3680.
[ ] THE APPLICATION
Complete an on-line application to Palmer Seminary.
[ ] PERSONAL STATEMENT
In 4 to 8 double-spaced, typed pages, please exhibit your best writing and thinking skills by developing an essay that responds to the following:
- What persons, events, and other factors have significantly influenced your Christian journey thus far?
- Describe the significant motives, convictions, persons and/or experiences that have led you to pursue a theological education.
- Describe your ministry up to this point in your life. What forms do you expect your ministry to take in the future (such as pastor, teacher, counselor, minister of Christian education)? What do you hope to accomplish in this ministry?
- Evaluate the abilities you possess for theological studies, including past academic coursework, and how they will be used in your intended ministry.
- How do you see yourself in relation to others? Besides your family, with whom do you spend time?
- What would your trusted friends say are the greatest strengths and most challenging weaknesses in your personality?
- When you are not in church, at work or in school, how do you spend your free time? How often do you get to enjoy these activities?
- If you are accepted at Palmer, what areas of needed growth do you hope will be developed by your experience with us? Also, what areas of strength do you believe Palmer Seminary can help you develop?
Note: If you are accepted at Palmer, your Personal Statement may be used as a benchmark for advising and assessment purposes, and thus may become part of your file in the Office of Student Formation. Also, for your convenience, click here to download just the Personal Statement instructions.
[ ] TRANSCRIPTS
Please arrange to have sent to the Admissions Office an official transcript from every college, university and seminary at which you studied. These documents should be sent by the respective institution(s), unless a sealed copy is already in your possession.
[ ] TWO REFERENCES
Please have two completed reference forms sent to the Seminary. They cannot be from a relative. One reference must come from your recent pastor, pastor figure or ministry mentor. The second may come from any Christian leader, colleague or friend who has some familiarity with your values, abilities and goals.
Reference forms may be downloaded by clicking on the link below. The forms are self-explanatory. Simply provide a copy of the form to those you choose to complete a reference form on your behalf.
[ ] LETTER OF GOOD STANDING
This applies only to those who have attended another seminary within the last five years but have not completed its academic program. Request a Letter of Good Standing from that institution’s Registrar or Academic Dean indicating that you are or were a student in good standing.
[ ] TOEFL TEST
Applicants whose primary spoken language and/or language of instruction have not been English—whether or not they have a resident visa or are U.S. citizens—are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). A minimum score of 550 (paper-based) or 79 (Internet based) is required to meet the standards for admission.
NOTE: If it is determined—whether during the admissions process or after commencing study—that difficulty with English will interfere with academic work, the Seminary may require the successful completion of an English language program.
Please note: You are encouraged to visit our campus as often as you'd like, as we cherish the opportunities we have to meet and spend time with prospective and incoming students. Finally, upon evaluation of your completed file, the Admissions Committee will notify you in writing of its decision.